Is Abortion Legal in Rockville, IN?
Are you considering the abortion pill as you face an unexpected pregnancy? Since there is no abortion center in Rockville, IN you may seek elsewhere. However there are risks to consider with this medical procedure.
After the overturning of Roe, Indiana enacted a new total ban on abortion, which took effect on September 15, 2022. As of now, that ban is currently blocked and abortion is legal up until 22 weeks of pregnancy. Two judges blocked the state’s ban and lawsuits against it continue. The Indiana Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in one of the cases in January.
How Does Medical Abortion Take Place?
Also known as the abortion pill, medical abortion includes two drugs, Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
- Mifepristone is used first and causes the embryo to become detached from the uterine lining where it’s sustained.
- Next, Misoprostol is taken and used to cause labor-like contractions. When this occurs, the body expels the embryo and related pregnancy tissue through the vagina.
Consider the Risks
The Mayo Clinic suggests you should “talk with your health care provider to get answers to your questions, help you weigh alternatives, and consider the impact the procedure may have on your future.”
As the abortion pill is done at home, you are responsible for knowing when a possible complication may arise and when to contact your physician. Some signs and symptoms of abortion complications may include:
- Heavy bleeding — soaking two or more pads an hour for two hours
- Severe abdominal or back pain
- Fever lasting more than 24 hours
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
Before Getting An Abortion
It’s important to discuss your current health, health history, and currently used medications with your doctor to understand all the risks and determine your options.
Confirm your pregnancy with a quality test and ultrasound to determine what options you have.
Pregnancy testing at our center has two advantages: tests are free and we have staff who will gladly talk with you about your next steps. Our staff is here to help walk you through these life changing decisions. Contact us today for help.